Hereford Lads Club is a registered charity which is run by a management committee appointed by its trustees. It was set up in 1925 as a club for under privileged boys, to provide them with opportunities to take part in sports with gentlemanly conduct and good sportsmanship being considered the most important qualities. The Club originally catered for Gymnastics and Boxing, but later developed a cricket team and junior football teams.

Following a fire in January 1940 the club was rebuilt on its present site overlooking Widemarsh Common after the land was generously donated by many local businessmen. In the 1960’s and 1970’s Hereford Lads Club blossomed and was attended by up to and in excess of 170 young people per night, creating a great community spirit. Building on that success, the Sports & Social Club was opened in 1977. Charities Commission regulations meant it was formed as a separate club to sell alcohol on the premises.

Recent Changes at Hereford Lads/Girls

Sports & Social Club

The Sports & Social Club is run by a separate committee of its own members. Last year a new steward, whose name is Keith Newbury but is known to everyone as Bov, took over running the social club. The club welcomes members and non-members, and provides post match hospitality for the teams.

Recently there have been major improvements to the clubhouse, including redecoration in the hall and a new bar area for use when the hall is used for private functions, parties etc, a new kids room providing indoor entertainment in a safe environment for children while their parents are in the bar, and better storage.